Monday, September 1, 2014

Rednecks: You need a murse!

I just returned from 2 weeks in Europe.  I mean Europe in the most accurate way.  London, Brussels, Prague, Croatia, Venice, Bavaria, France....and all in between by road.  It was as stunning as it sounds.  But that isn't the purpose of this post.  I discovered something in my travels, something that I have known about for years but only experienced for myself for the first time on this trip.  It is the convenience of carrying a satchel...a messenger bag...a "European carry all" (thank you Jerry Seinfeld)....a, for lack of better Americanly understandable term, murse.

I took a vintage 1930's US military messenger bag with me with the intent of using it as my murse for the trip and take full advantage of the social acceptability which eludes us here in America: the land of the stigmas.  My vintage bag soon proved to be more of an actual antique however when the stitching started to show it's age and come apart.  I was in Venice at the time and bought a true hand-made for the purpose, Italian leather man's bag.  It was convenient beyond my imagination and I can't wait to continue to use it as I see fit.

Being an American, however, I am forced to consider the social acceptability of my murse regardless of the convenience.  Mostly due to the prevailing redneckishness of my fellow Americans, particularly in my region of the country.  During this consideration it dawned on me that there is no group of American males that would benefit more from wide acceptance of the murse than the red-blooded red neck.

I used MY murse to carry what I considered to be the daily necessities of a traveller: my phone, wallet, keys, passport, e-cigarette & accesories, map, etc. as well as anything else that would have otherwise required my filling of my own pockets or that I ask one of my female travel companions to act as my personal pack mule.  Having my own bag is liberating not to mention very intelligent if not only for the fact that it cuts down on thievery since most such criminals are looking at females as the easier target.  Slung across the shoulder of some of my redneck paranoia-fueled gun toting wannabe friends the murse would be invaluable even beyond what I experienced.  Even with all of my chosen contents there was still ample room for a handgun, extra ammo, a few cans of tobacco, a pocket knife, some pliers (don't laugh....I've seen some carry pliers in a special pouch on their belt), a carefully folded white hood, a small framed picture of the Bush of your choice....you name it, there is room.  I'll bet a carefully configured spit-cup could even be carried.  Plus, while mine is fine Italian leather, a murse could easily be fashioned out of any material of your choice with any design.  Just imagine the sense of security you would feel from knowing that your 9mm, your GOP membership card, your Sarah Palin lip balm, and your tiny noose you carry for good luck are all tucked safely inside a David Allen Coe or David Duke signature bag made from a rebel flag?  Sounds pretty cool, eh?

Think about it before you judge me carrying mine.

You need a murse.


1 comment:

  1. it is acceptable here. Chris has a brown satchel and is looking for a black and a khaki. Of course we live in a blue state, you know not real America,
    Signed,
    from the front of un-real America

    ReplyDelete